Crestone Mountain Zen Center (CMZC):
2000 E Dream Way
Crestone, CO 81131
Please use Google Maps for driving directions to CMZC.
Alamosa (ALS) is an extremely small airport and the closest airport. It is 1 hour South of Crestone. It is serviced by a commuter airline called Key Lime Air DBA Denver Air Connection. If you book to this airport you will have a connection in Denver.
You will need to arrange ground transport (taxi or rideshare) to CMZC.
Taxi Service in Alamosa - Little Stinkers Taxi (719) 589-2500
Colorado Springs (COS). This is a small airport but serviced by major airlines, making it easy and fast to get in and out of. It is 165 miles or about 3 hours 15 minutes drive from Crestone. The following airlines service COS: American, Avelo, Delta, Southwest, Sun Country, United.
You will need to arrange ground transport (car rental or shuttle) to CMZC.
Denver International Airport (DEN, locally known as DIA) is a much bigger airport. It is about 4 hours from Crestone. Denver flights tend to be less expensive and involve fewer connections.
You will need to arrange ground transport (car rental or bus) to CMZC. Click Here for information on how to get to Crestone from DIA via bus.
Albuquerque International Sunport (ABQ), NM is a 5-hour drive south of Crestone.
You will need to arrange ground transport (car rental).
CARPOOLING / RIDE SHARING FROM AIRPORTS
Most people will arrive on Sunday August 11th, and car pooling or ride sharing from an airport may be possible. We will send out a survey beginning 2 months ahead of time to collect guests’ travel & contact information to help facilitate carpooling / ride sharing with each other.
- Car Rentals at Alamosa Airport - currently unavailable
- Car Rentals at Colorado Springs Airport
- Car Rentals at Denver International Airport
Local Taxis and Shuttle Service
- Little Stinkers Taxi, Alamosa: call (719) 589-2500
Bus from Denver Airport to Crestone
CAR POOLING / RIDE SHARING FROM AIRPORTS
Most people will arrive on Sunday August 11th, and car pooling or ride sharing from an airport may be possible. We will send out a survey beginning 2 months ahead of time to collect guests’ travel & contact information to help you facilitate car pooling / ride sharing with each other.
Check-In & Check-Out
Sunday August 11th is the day to arrive. You can arrive anytime 2pm onwards and check into your accommodations. You are welcome to take a hike, explore the campus, rest, etc. The first official scheduled event will be dinner together at 6pm, followed by an opening circle, orientation and kīrtan.
On the last day, Sunday August 18th, we will have morning practice and a closing circle followed by brunch around 9:30 am. After that, guests will pack-up, check-out, and begin their travel home.
What To Bring
Things to Pack:
- yoga mat (if you're flying we'll provide. If you're driving and you have an extra to bring & loan, please let us know)
- meditation cushion (if you're flying we'll provide)
- singing straws, if you have them (If not, I'm bringing compostable ones you can try)
- sun hat
- insect repellent
- layered comfortable clothing
- a warm shawl or yoga blanket
- one set of modest clothing that can be kept clean for visits to nearby mahā lakṣmī temple (they ask for shoulders/legs covered, we have two optional excursions there)
- water bottle
- day-pack for optional hiking
- jacket for cool evenings (lows are in the low 50s, plan accordingly)
- flashlight or headlamp
- hiking or walking shoes
- swimsuit for bathing in nearby hot springs (optional)
- rain jacket and/or umbrella in case of rain
- camping gear (if camping)
- bedding/towels (if camping)
- your harmonium if you are going to play (unless prior arrangements with us have been made)
- manjira/kartals (finger-cymbals), if you have
- small hand drum (like a djembe or a dumbek for percussion workshops), if you are driving to the Center and you have one
Weather & Climate
Crestone is a high desert climate. It’s cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Skies are mostly clear. We will be at 8,400 feet and the sun is intense. Please bring a sun hat and sunscreen.
If you are not accustomed to high altitude, please remember to drink plenty of water. Altitude physiologists recommend drinking 2-3 liters of water per day before your trip to help your body prepare. Being well rested when you arrive also decreases high altitude illness symptoms.
Doctor & Hospital Locations
The Zen Center is located in a remote forest just outside of the small town of Crestone. The nearest doctor’s office or hospital is an hour away in either the town of Salida or Alamosa.
There are two kinds of maps available to you. One map gives you an idea of the buildings and where they are located. The other map shows hiking trails on our 240 acre campus that the residential community uses for walking meditation. The trails are easy and ideal for short recreational walks.
any questions or concerns? please email us at [email protected]